Tuesday, August 02, 2005

We're Back!

Last week I decided at the very last minute to take the kids and head to my sister Sharon's in Niagara Falls. I made up my mind on Sunday the 24th, and left on Monday. We needed a break. The summer's been great, but we were growing stagnant and I ached for a change of pace. It was a good decision! We had a nice time. I always love to see Sharon. She has such a positive outlook and rarely seems down about things. I went there thinking I would vent to her about things that have been on my mind lately, but being there made me forget all about them.

My other sister, Helen, is living with Sharon for the moment, and although I didn't get to see much of her I enjoy our time together as well. And Sharon's kids are adorable. She has two boys and a baby girl, the oldest being 3 and the youngest being three months. They are well-behaved and laid back, which is a good thing. I can't imagine having three crazies so close together.

Speaking of crazies, my children had the best time. They were much more obedient than usual in the car, thanks to my friend's portable DVD player. And Aunt Sharon has a pool, which kept them well occupied and entertained for the week, even though they had three of the coolest days they've had in months while we were there.

I also had the chance to see my brother, Haig, and his family. They visited Sharon on the first night we were there. Haig has been living in Nova Scotia with my other brother, Don, because Haig and Nichla purchased a house in Halifax and and have been waiting for their Burlington (Ontario) house to be sold. Well, the sale is finally closing, and Haig's family will finally be able to join him out east soon. They have seven children, and we all had a great time taking a late-night swim and catching up. We'll see them again in a few weeks, and then again--who knows when? Sob.

So July was a good month. Along with our mini-vacation I was able to catch up with two old and dear friends. And I mean OLD friends. Gloria Estefan and Outfield hits come to mind. They were both very dear to me when I knew them, and have remained so ever since, if only in my heart and dreams. One I spoke to by phone, and the other I saw in person, and it was such a nice feeling to remember why we were friends in the first place and to feel those connections again. In some ways, it felt like some things hadn't changed a bit.

So here's to all of your longest lasting friendships. Treat yourself to a phone call to remind yourself of how the best things in life really are free. Or maybe five cents a minute.

No comments: